Monday, February 2, 2015

Natural Bridge and Cedar Creek Trail in Virginia

One of the many things I saw and visited on my journey to the USA, back in 2005, was the Natural Bridge in Rockbridge County, Virginia. It is a geological formation in which Cedar Creek (a small tributary of the James River) has carved out a gorge through the mountains, forming a natural arch 215 ft (66 m) high, with a span of 90 ft (27 m). The journey follows the Natural Bridge  on the historic Cedar Creek Nature Trail.

click on the images for a bigger view



The Cedar Creek Trail

The trail’s namesake, Cedar Creek, begins on Short Hills just a few miles northeast of the Bridge, and ends at the James River a few miles south. It is thought the creek entered a cavern millions of years ago and, over time, eroded much of the underlying limestone rock to sculpt the Bridge. The trail is fairly flat, but does start to get a little uneven past the Monacan Village with slight hills (you will see the village at the end of this post). The Cedar Creek Trail is open daily from 9 in the morning until dark. The length of the trail is just under a mile.


The Saltpeter Cave

A path diverges from the main road and leads you to this small cave system, formed over the years by natural conditions. I slipped through the crevasses in order to get to the inner part which was mostly dark, and only lit in places by the natural sunlight.
 

Monacan Village

The Monacan Indians are Siouan speaking people, who migrated to this region over 1500 years ago from the northwest.  The Monacan village is reconstructed according to the archaeological records of the southwestern and Piedmont regions of Virginia. In the village you can catch a glimpse of what life would have been like in a small village 300 years ago in a living history environment.



The Lace Waterfalls

We walked to where the path ended at Lace Waterfalls where the Cedar Creek plunges 50 feet to the creek bed. The whole creeks springs 180 miles away in the Alleghany Mountains and flows under the Natural Bridge and another mile to the James River, where it finally merges with the waters of James River, Virginia.


It is not the usual toruist attraction, but I'm glad I saw this natural wonder, and I hope that you also enjoyed coming along with me.


36 comments:

  1. Virginia has so many beautiful sights. Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There is really so much to see and discover.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mersad, lovely images from your visit to Virginia.. This is a place I have not been to, looks like I should go and see these pretty sights.. Lovely photos, thanks for sharing your visit. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should. It's a great way to spend the afternoon.

      Delete
  3. Yes Mersad I did very much enjoy coming along with you. As you say, it is not a tourist area and one I probably will never see so I appreciate all your lovely images. Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the kind of tourist attraction I'm usually most interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! We've been there. Your images capture it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a beautiful natural arch, i am so happy for you that you had this opportunity to visit VA and other places in the USA... we used to live in a house in Kentucky, not far from this one, on a creek just like this one.. i can still see it in my memory and your photo jogged that memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a really great place to explore and see. I'm glad they triggered positive memories for you.

      Delete
  7. rocky terrain - must have felt a bit like home to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the really beautiful places here in the states and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit there, Mersad!! Your wonderful captures were like another visit there for me!! Have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Das glaube ich dir gerne, und gerade die nicht so üblichen Touristenattraktionen sind meist noch viel schöner, vor allem weil sie auch nicht so überlaufen sind. Ganz toll lieber Mersad und wieder mal so schön zu sehen was die Natur schafft.

    Liebe Abendgrüsse


    N☼va

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's such a variety of landscapes in the US. This was a pretty spot, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, Mersad! The Natural Bridge is gorgeous. I have not seen that one, though I have seen others in Utah that were striking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, dieser Felsentunnel ist echt gigantisch. Du schaust noch so jung aus, :-)
    Liebe Grüße
    Hast du den Canon EOS D 600 gell? Ich überlege mir auch die zu kaufen. Was hälst du davon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich hab die Canon 6D. Die 600D ist zwei Klassen tiefer, aber auch eine super Kamera.

      Delete
  13. Interesting because it's not a State I've ever visited.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That natural bridge is really neat. I'm enjoying your photos and story from this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Virginia is so rich in beautiful sights, the Natural Bridge a gem among a collection of jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pictures and commentary, looks like a perfect place to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so envious! I haven't been to the mainland US, but if i have chances i will surely take the advantage of just touring around. You write very well that we can fully visualize the places you visit. I suggest in your vacation elsewhere, try New Zealand. I've been to some parts of Sydney and Brisbane also in the past, but this trip in NZ is the most awesome i had so far. You should visit Arrowtown, Queenstown, Rotorua-Wai-otapu Thermal Sites, and the Glowworm Caves. Oh i forgot the route to Milford Sound and the cruise, truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Zealand and Australia are deffinitley on my bucket list. I have two bigger travels planned for this year, one in spring, and one in autumn. But I hope to travel down under in the near future as well. Of course me being in Europe, this is a big and expensive trip. :)

      Delete
  18. Beautiful region. I love places like this... Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The natural bridge is an impressive work of natural art. I love wandering beautiful areas like this that do not make the tourist list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - a gorgeous natural wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your trail and the places it leads. My kind of tourist attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my favorite areas of the country to visit, I've been there many times since childhood. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic shots Mersad and good to see you too :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a gorgeous area. One I've not seen before you shared it all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never seen a natural stone bridge like that before! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing at Song-ography.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a wonderful trail to follow. That bridge is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an awesome part of the world to photograph! There's so much of the US that is worthy of photos and you found some!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous scenes. That Natural Bridge is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Mersad...My sister lives in VA so I am going to ask her about some of these places you highlighted as they look like wonderful places to visit. My area was heavily populated by Native Americans before the Europeans..some from my family history..came and cleared the land of the forest to farm moving the native people. I feel very sad about that. Some were very kind and taught my farming great-great-great grandfather some techniques.I need to research that more as I do my family history...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  30. My husband is a Virginia native, and we have lived, off and on, many years in that beautiful state. I am SO happy you got to visit the Natural Bridge and surrounds. It is wonderful to see these awesome photos of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Excellent photos! I have been there too (and blogged about it). Hope you get to come back to Virginia some day.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.